Acting is a continuous learning process even if you have attended the proper acting course. But with a busy schedule, attending another dedicated acting course is hard. That is where online acting classes are helpful. But how to find the best online acting classes?
Here I have compiled a list of 13 online acting classes that any actor can take. This list is compiled after thorough research and I have personally taken some of them.
Best Online Acting Classes
1. Masterclass By Helen Mirren
Class Length: 28 lessons ( 6 hours 17 minutes)
There is nothing better than learning acting from an Academy Award-winning actor who has decades of acting experience.
Helen Mirren needs no introduction. She has been doing movies and theater since the late 60s.
With Masterclass she shares her acting process which is a golden opportunity for new actors.
- She talks about her acting experience and how she learned acting without going to drama school.
- She talks about how she tears apart the script and rearranges the pages to learn about her character progression.
- She explains the practical process that every actor has to do.
- She talks a lot about relations with the costume design to build the character.
I recommend her acting masterclass. It is the best online acting class for adults. Also if you have some sort of acting experience like acting school etc., you would be able to relate it to more easily.
Duration: 21 Lessons (4 hours 59 minutes)
Another class I recommend you to watch is Samuel L. Jackson. Captain Fury famed actor has a lot of teach you from his experience as an actor.
Just like Helen Mirren, Samuel L. Jackson has more than three decades of acting experience. This is again a rare opportunity for actors to catch a glimpse of the process of an experienced actor.
- The best thing about his masterclass is he teaches you the process of scene work using his iconic restaurant scene from the iconic movie Pulp Fiction.
- He talks a lot about how to work on sets which is great for a practical approach to acting.
- He also talks about how to improvise and use your impulse to approach the scene.
- He also teaches how to question the lines of the character so that you as the actor can learn more about the character.
This masterclass is perfect for actors who struggle with scene work. This masterclass will give you the exact process to approach the scene when you are on set.
3. Professional 10-Hour Acting Master Class by The Actor Academy
Duration: 32 lessons ( 10 hours13 minutes)
If you are a beginner and you want to learn the basics of acting, this is the best course.
I have been following the Actor Academy YouTube channel even before they came up with the acting course.
If you want you can check out the YouTube channel before purchasing the course. The guy provides very simple and easy-to-understand advice.
Anyone who has never done acting will be able to understand and learn a lot.
The guy himself is an actor and he talks about his experience. I like the fact that he is not as technical as the other acting teachers.
- The course gives you good about what acting is all about.
- The course takes you through all the important skill sets actors need to succeed in the industry.
- The course also talks about headshots, auditions, and agents which many courses miss out on.
I suggest this course only to beginners who have no experience of learning acting. Also, the course is the best online acting classes for teens. This course will give great insight into the art of acting and also market yourself as an actor. This is a great starting point for any with the ambition to become an actor.
4. Masterclass by Natalie Portman
Duration: 20 Lessons ( 2 hours 37 minutes)
Natalie Portman is one of the most successful and skillful actresses in Hollywood. She won an Oscar even before she turned 30.
With so many years of experience as a professional actor, you have a great opportunity to learn from the best.
And if you are a fan of Natalie Portman you should not miss the online acting class. She takes you closer to her acting process.
- She uses examples of scenes she has worked on.
- It is her style of acting so you will learn new tips and tricks that you might not have heard.
- She talks a lot about use of the physical gestures.
I do recommend actors watch her masterclass with another course. Her masterclass is not perfect. The reason is never went to drama school and hence whatever she teaches is from her experience.
It is a short video so it won’t take time.
It is perfect for those actors who love her acting style or who are looking to use their acting style. I would suggest some actors who already have some sort of process can take up this masterclass.
5. The Introductory Program By Stella Adler Studio Of Acting
Duration: Live Class on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
Platform: Official Website
Stella Adler was one of the most renowned acting gurus. If you are interested in learning her style, you can directly join acting classes on the website.
I kept this on number five just because it is a live class instead of e-lessons. Also, it has limited seats and is conducted between 26 September and 16 November.
Though introductory courses are available for all, other online classes on their website require application and audition.
- You will learn a lot of technical things about acting like scene study, movement, voice, speech, etc.
- You will be learning mostly about Stella Adler’s acting technique.
- You can interact with teachers as it is a live interactive session.
I would suggest these online classes to those who want to take an intensive acting class but does not have the time and resource to move to cities like New York or Los Angeles.
However, the class is one of the most expensive options on my list. It would cost you around $1450 if you are a new applicant.
If you are a returning student or a conservatory graduate the cost can come down to $1300 to 1090.
They do have cheaper weekend classes but I would not suggest you take up these classes.
6. The Complete Acting Course By Galadriel Stineman
Duration: 37 lessons ( 5 hours 4 minutes)
I love this acting class just for the fact that is well organized. The whole course is divided into 12 steps.
The acting course was developed by Galadriel Stineman. She is an American actress and model. You might have seen her in the movie Ben 10 Alien Swarm as Gwen Tennyson. She is also known for the ABC’s show The Middle for the role of Cassedy Finch.
The course is a complete guide for all kinds of actors who are looking to build an acting foundation as well as looking for the process to crack auditions.
- You learn a lot of techniques like want, a moment before, stakes, etc.
- The acting technique closely resembles Ivana Chubbuck 12- 12-step acting process.
- You also get separate lessons on how to rehearse
- Also, there is an extra lesson on how to crack auditions.
If you are a beginner and you are looking for a wholesome acting course without spending too much money, this is the one. Also if you are transitioning from theater to film and TV shows, this course is perfect for you.
7. Acting 101 for Adults
Duration: 17 lessons ( 6 hours 52 min)
Another course from the Udemy platform is great for actors. The course is best for those actors looking for a method to ace auditions. The course is a little different from other acting classes online.
The course is more about auditions than acting techniques.
I feel actors should also be taught how to market themselves. I have seen a lot of acting courses or workshops focus on acting techniques.
But in this industry, an actor should also know how to market himself and find opportunities for himself.
The course is designed precisely for this purpose.
The course is created by the Academy of Film Fashion And Design. They have a group of different teachers which includes acting coaches like Brandon Rodriguez. He has a lot of experience as a casting agent as well as an actor.
Using his experience the course provides you with a lot of information about casting, auditing, and getting agents.
- In early lessons, you will learn a lot about agents and managers.
- The online class will also help you find the right type for yourself.
- You have two dedicated lessons that talk about commercial auditions.
- It’s probably the only online class that talks about the importance of SAG-AFTRA.
I recommend this to all actors who are starting and don’t know how to market themselves. This course will give you a lot of great ideas about getting agents and auditions.
8. Acting Techniques Masterclass By Skill Collective
Duration: 13 lessons (40 min)
When You are starting as an actor, you will hear a lot about different acting techniques like Stanislvsky, Stella Adler, Uta Hagen, etc.
Unless you try them out you won’t find the most suitable acting technique for yourself.
I don’t know if there is any other online class that provides information about different acting techniques in one package.
Why this could be a great package to start your acting lesson?
Before you join or start a new online acting lesson you should go through this class. It will help you learn about different acting approaches.
And when you have some idea about the different techniques, you can choose the one that fits your style.
- Very simple to understand for a beginner
- It provides simple exercises for each technique to try out like Meisner’s repetition exercise.
- The video lessons are short and to the point.
Yes, this course is short but it is enough to give you an idea about different acting techniques.
I recommend this course for beginners who are just starting as an actor.
9. The Captivating Actor- A Comprehensive Guide
Duration: 77 Lessons ( 4 hours 36 minutes)
I have been a big fan of Rick Segal’s YouTube videos. He runs a YouTube channel where he reacts to movie trailers and videos.
But he also has a YouTube channel about acting called For the Love of the Craft.
Rick got into acting at the age of 3. Since then he has been acting on stage and screen.
He brings his vast experience into his fun acting class.
If you look at the course it is vast and covers almost all aspects of acting. And you will find his teaching style fun and comic.
- You will enjoy his fun and comedic teaching style.
- He also talks about overcoming stage fright and anxiety.
- The course covers deep aspects of emotions in acting.
- He also talks about how to approach auditions in detail.
This course is made for all kinds of actors because it covers everything there is to know about acting.
However, I would suggest this course to those who have some idea about acting and want to learn more advanced techniques.
10. Online Acting Classes By The Barrow Group
Duration: Live Lessons
The Barrow Group acting courses are popular in New York but they do offer online courses too both for young and adults.
The group has a lot of experience in the craft of acting under the leadership of Rober Yu Serell, Lee Brock, and Seth Barrish.
Their best program is a year-long acting course but it is on-site learning.
However, you can learn many things by taking their online acting courses too.
- They keep posting different types of online acting classes regularly.
- Classes are live on Zoom, so it is interactive.
- You get in contact with teachers quickly if you have any doubts or queries.
- They have classes for all age groups.
You can book any of their online classes depending on the level of your craft. However, the classes are going to be a little expensive compared to other online classes that I have mentioned here.
11. How I Booked 8 Acting Roles On Major TV Shows in a Year By Brennan Taylor
Duration: 15 lessons ( 2 hours)
How to crack auditions is also a skill. If you don’t know how to win auditions, your acting skills won’t take you too far.
So I recommend actors get some kind of orientation course on audition after proper acting courses.
This course Brennan Taylor on Udemy is one of the best online acting classes that focuses on auditioning. His method is proven.
He booked 8 acting roles on TV shows and movies. One of the parts includes The Amazing Spiderman 2. He has also won commercial ads regularly.
In his course, you will get insight into how he can crack so many auditions. You can also follow his method to get your first role.
- The complete course is all about auditions.
- He talks about how he maintains his demo reel, and resume, and manages agents.
- He also talks about what to do during the audition.
- I recommend you not miss the lesson on how to get into the Union because it is the key to winning the best roles.
Many online acting classes that I have listed do talk about auditions but not like this guy. I recommend you take up this acting class even if you are already enrolled in another acting class.
12. Voice Acting By Nancy Cartwright
Duration: 14 lessons ( 2 hours and 43 minutes)
There are many advantages of taking voice acting classes online. If you are excellent with your voice acting you can get gigs in the Gaming and Animation industries too.
Just look at Morgan Freeman. His voice alone can win him an audition. Just look at James Erl Jones, the voice of Darth Vader from Star Wars Franchise.
In addition to that, you can improve your speech skills. A great voice could be a great advantage in acting auditions.
Nancy Cartwright is an Emmy award winner voice-over actress, who has many credits to her name. The biggest one is the voice of Bart Simpson from the animated series The Simpson.
She is one of the best voice-over artists in the world and there is probably no other voice-over acting coach with so much experience.
- She guides actors to find the right voice type.
- She talks about her experience in finding the voice of Bart Simpson
- Her course talks about creating characters in depth.
- There is a lot of practical advice from her when recording voices.
You should club this video with any other online acting class so that you become a complete actor. Especially, if you are an actor with a weak voice, you should get this masterclass.
13. Foundations of Acting in Films By Truthful Acting Online
Duration: Live Lessons
If you are on a tight budget and want to learn in an interactive environment, this is a great option.
The Truth Acting offers this foundation class for just $99, which is way less than any other live class.
The course is headed by Marco DiGeorge who has worked as an actor as well casting director. He is also known for producing independent films.
- The course focuses on acting as well as practices actors should follow on set.
- It uses a technique called outward focus and emotional life.
- It is a round course that provides actors with techniques for mentality as well as physicality.
- You also get lifetime access to manuals and other documents.
If someone is looking for an interactive online acting class, this could be a good introductory course. The technique taught by them is practical and easy to follow for new actors.
How To Choose Online Acting Classes?
I know the list is long and it could get hard to choose one for yourself. But you should understand each actor is different. All have different requirements.
Here I will simplify the requirements so that you can narrow down the options for yourself.
For any actor having the right technique is important. You have to choose the one that suits you out of so many techniques.
If you are a beginner, I suggest you try all the popular acting techniques. Test them to see which technique is effective for you.
However, some courses have unique techniques which use elements from different techniques.
It is so because the tutor has his or her process which uses different techniques. You might also need the same approach.
If one acting method is not suitable for you should try to learn different approaches and then pick the elements that work for you.
In such cases, you should try to go for different courses as per your need.
If you are looking for online courses, it means you do not have enough time to join the full-time course.
Keeping this in mind I have recommended courses that are in-depth and short. Most of the courses have lessons that are around 20 minutes.
However, if you are choosing online acting classes because your city does not have any acting classes, then go for the live acting classes.
Live classes tend to be longer and they run for months like the introductory program by Stella Adler.
Acting coach is the most important aspect to consider when choosing online acting classes.
All the coaches have experience as an actor. It can be on screen or on stage.
Whatever technique they use is developed after years of experimentation as an actor.
So when choosing classes look at the coaches and their experience.
In terms of experience, no one can beat Masterclasses courses because they have teachers like Helen Mirren, Natalie Portman, and Samuel L. Jackson.
I recommend you try them even if you plan to choose a different course.
There are some courses from popular institutions that have roots in legendary teachers like Stella Adler.
They have years of experience in building actors which is another great option to develop your acting skill.
In my days I have tried many courses and workshops, and I can tell they can be an expensive affair.
And a full-time acting course from a reputation institute could be a huge expense.
But compared to them online acting courses are cheaper.
If you go for courses from Masterclass or Udemy costs $100 or less. Masterclass has a monthly package which is $12. And from Udemy you can buy courses for less than $100 for a lifetime.
If you are considering live online classes, they can cost you around $500-$1400. But they are in-depth and provide an interactive learning environment.
You can learn more about the cost of acting classes from here.
The course structure is another aspect to consider while buying online acting classes. Course structure means what you are going to learn and how you are going to learn.
The art of acting has various aspects like technique, voice, audition, and set etiquette.
Some courses will focus more on technique and some provide a little bit of everything.
So you have to choose the classes carefully.
You have to look at what you want to focus on while learning and then pick the most suitable course for yourself.
The last point to consider while choosing courses is what are the accessories provided by acting classes.
Are they offering some manuals or acting tools that you can use?
Are they offering any one-to-one interactive sessions etc.?
You must also consider the fact that if there are any updates to the course will have access to it?
Keep all these questions in mind while buying acting courses.
There are plenty of online acting classes but for me, Masterclass acting classes are the best. The reason is that you get to learn from the people whom most of the actors idolize.
In addition, they are not as expensive as other acting courses.
The next would be the courses from famous acting schools but they could be expensive.
Since most of the courses are short, you can always go for multiple courses so that you can cover all the bases as an actor.